Getting the results of a test organised by the Practice:
- All results are checked by the doctors. A comment is then made on your notes.
- Please ring in the afternoon (when our phone lines are quietest) and the receptionist will read the doctor’s comment about your test to you.
- It is YOUR responsibility to ring us to check the results of your test, as follow up may be needed.
- You will only be contacted by us if your results require further action.
- Please ensure we have correct contact details for you (especially mobile telephone) in case we do need to contact you.
- If you want/need to discuss a test result with a GP we would be happy to do this over the phone. Telephone appointments are available either on the day or pre-booked with the GP who ordered the test unless there is a good reason why they cannot follow up your problem
Length of time before test results come back:
Some tests take longer to return to the practice than others. Please allow the following time to ensure all of your results are likely to be back:
- Blood tests 7 days
- X-rays 2 weeks
- Ultrasound scans 2 weeks
- CT or MRI scans 1 month
- Heart scans 2 weeks
- ECGs (heart traces) 1 week
- Urine samples for infection 1 week
- Swabs for infections 1 week
- Nail clippings for fungal infection 8 weeks
- Smear results 8 weeks (the NHS always writes to you about these results)
Getting the results of tests organised by the hospital:
Sometimes patients have investigations that have been arranged by hospital consultants. The results from these tests do not automatically get forwarded onto GPs.
If you want to know the result of a test you have had under the care of a consultant you can phone the hospital and ask to speak to your consultant's secretary. They are often able to get permission to forward the results onto the practice so that we can let you know the results. If you give them a couple of days to do this, then ring the practice we can discuss the results with you over the phone.
Please note that we do have a strict policy regarding confidentiality and data protection. In this respect we will only give out results to the person they relate to unless that person has given prior permission for their release or if they are not capable of understanding them.